Saturday, July 30, 2011

Running Around Racing v.2

Finally back in Seattle! I just got done traveling for a week and some to Cascade and the Northwest Regional Youth Development Camp in Forest Grove. It was a killer week with approx. infinity new experiences and friends made. First, a photo recap of Cascade. We'll start where we left off, after the first stage that I unwittingly won. Here's one from the TT where I lost my yellow shirt.

(explanation: my pre-tt food is a handful of Sourpatch Kids)


Per usual, I have tons of excuses for not winning the TT. First of all, I had no Skrillex to listen to. Second of all, they didn't give me a yellow skinsuit to race in! Instead of riding with the strength of 10 men, I was riding with the strength of one Colin, which was not enough, and I dropped a bunch of places. Next!

(making a face at Davis Shepherd. what face exactly? see below.)

(this face! explanation: pre-crit food is chewing tobacco.)

(3rd in the crit = more beer! plus, no castelli belly = PRO! photo wingerstudios.com)

I was real pleased with the crit, partially for the special performance sprint I made in order to get close to the gold-sequined dress-wearing podium girls, and partially for the four bonus seconds I netted in the process. I also got a peanut butter prime!

Sunday, I did listen to Skrillex before the race, and look what happened:

(I think I'm at the "k" in "Fuck yah!")

Definitely the best weekend I've had on a bike in a long time, especially in terms of luck. Some of my teammates have had it real bad this year, breaking collar bones and fracturing skulls, so I'm quick to count my blessings, but this weekend, everything really came into place in a way that it didn't at several other potentially good races this year. After the last stage, I also moved up to 2nd GC. 24 bonus seconds over the course of the weekend. Pro!

Before heading out of town, I made sure to hit up Thump Coffee:

(sipping the 'spro at Thump, the very shop where my blog was born a year ago!!!)

After the racing, I booked out of Bend to Forest Grove. I got the sweet opportunity to coach at one of USAC's regional youth development camps, this one in Forest Grove, Oregon. Jim Anderson runs this one, now in its third year with 36 riders. Jim has been involved with racing, race promotion, and rider development for a long time, and he's also a real nice guy and super easy to work with. The camp was Sunday-Friday, with lots of riding, lecturing, eating, and track stands. The kids were great, the other coaches were great, and the dorms were especially great. I spotted this gem of a warning above the toilet in my bathroom:

(what the hell am I supposed to brush my teeth with now?)

(turns out I <3 Willamette Valley)


(Jim talking to the group on day 1)

(the riders on the last day in their new German National Team kits)

(sitting in, getting ready to attack the S out of these kids)

(riding with Phil and Butch, about to motor-pace that guy)

That week was effing rad. Special thanks to this song:



No comments:

Post a Comment